Wednesday 23 November 2016

Self-Esteem

Feeling like a failure!

I mentioned low self-esteem in the first blog.  Of all the quizzes I have done throughout the programme, this one caused the most emotion for me.  I think due to the fact I had such a low opinion of myself and I had created the phobia I was battling to live with.

My original score on the self-esteem quiz was 25% (15/20). This was definitely self-criticism and limiting beliefs and not from my family background.  I always thought of myself as a failure, that I wasn't good enough.  Why hadn't I achieved more.  I told myself that my gravestone would read 'could have done better'.

My perfectionist thinking was dragging me down and I couldn't see all that I had achieved. This was the case in all areas of my life.

When I first completed the Action on processing my positives, I did struggle to come up with ten things from the previous few days.  The ones I did come up with were largely based on doing things for others or their comments making me feel good.  Paul made me re-think and start to process the positive things that I did for me.

By now I was on about week three or four of the programme and I felt like a light had come on and everything started to come together and become clearer.  It was like a huge weight was being lifted from my shoulders.  I can’t explain the elation I now feel.  Every day I see the positives in the small things, not wishing the days away until something exciting takes place.  I have so much more confidence in myself and my ability and I enjoy taking on new challenges and testing myself.  

I am now so proud of myself for all of my achievements, big and small, including completing the Thrive Programme and overcoming the biggest obstacles of my life.  I changed my belief on ALL but one of the 15 self-esteem points and by the end of the programme my self-esteem was (and remains at) 95%!!!

Next time - Challenging safety behaviours




No comments:

Post a Comment